RECOMMENDED EXTERNAL LINKS
Crusader Launch at Dusk - USS Franklin D. Roosevelt CVA-42
Updated February 16, 2016
Email the Webmaster
Click this link -VFP-62 Webmaster to send a comment or contribution to this page.
Look for for most current additions.
Click on (underlined text below)
Aircraft Carrier Sites & Information
- Extensive carrier operations video: _USS John C. Stennis_ This is g-r-r-r-eat, and I know you're going to love it. Make sure your sound is on and turn this on to full screen. Enjoy!__contributed by Marion Swinford
- Rare WW II Color videos (YouTube): _Carriers in the Pacific - Contributed by George Montgomery
- YouTube Video (~1 hr): U.S.S. Enterprise CVAN-65 -Contributed by Bruce Nason
- YouTube provides old 8mm video: U.S.S. Essex 1958 Cruise -pollywog/shellback ceremony and the Essex in dry dock. Contributed by J.J. McKenna
- (1/24/12) New Web site: The USS Enterprise - The most decorated ship of the Second World War, Enterprise changed the very course of a war she seemed to have been expressly created for... USS Enterprise (CVAN-65) ..The site is geared toward the men who served on the Enterprise as well as detailed information about the ship itself. webmaster: Joseph Maresca
- Today's Navy News aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise CVAN-65 Click "Shuttle" for news.
- HIGH SPEED INTERNET RECOMMENDED. INTERNAL LINK: USS Enterprise flight deck operations video Contributed by: Pete Wallace.
- Complete scan of:1964 USS Enterprise Cruise Book-Med Cruise and Operation Sea Orbit
- Website with information, pictures and hundreds of shipmates listed. U.S.S. Forrestal
- Visit my : USS Forrestal Home Page:-Sign my Guestbook with Div/Squadron and Time aboard. Paul H. Friedman (USS Forrestal CVA-59 Crewmember, AO3, G Div., WestPac 5/67 - 7/29/67) USS Forrestal Association Lifetime Member
- Website dedicated to the: U.S.S. Shangri La .
- Collection of photos of: USS Intrepid & Air Group
- Brilliant account of the: Last Cruise of U.S.S. Shangri La.None of my friends in VFP-63 Det 38 could ever confirm the radar antenna falling off, but all the other stuff happened as written. The Navy just ran the Shang into the ground, pretty much the same fate for Hancock (CVA-19).-Jerry Nolan
- All former crewmembers, including airwing squadrons and Marine detachments, of the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt CVB, CVA, CV-42, please check out our website at: www.ussfdrcv42reunion.com.
We are always looking for former shipmates.
- Lots of photos and information related to the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, including photos of squadrons & ships. Larry Blumenthal's website: www.usnavyphotos.com -Site has new videos of cruises.
- A new site being developed by Larry Blumenthal: www.ussfranklindroosevelt.com-all about the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt and her squadrons.
- Website for the U.S.S. Independence CV-62 Includes reunion information, pictures, and much more.
- Web page for USS Independence:
- Website for the: U.S.S. Enterprise CVA-65 Includes reunion information, pictures, and much more.
- (4/21/11): "USA Naval History: The USS Monitor" Contributed by a student, interested in Naval History, from Mrs. Kelly Harris's class. (See "Mail Call" linked from "Bulletin Board")
- (4/23/11) HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED--VIDEO Blue Angels in flight Video from inside and outside the cokpit. Contributed by Bill Newby
- (1/29/11) Mesothelioma Treatment Information Many sailors were exposed to asbestos and which causes Mesothelioma.
- (12/19/10)--HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED:_Virtual tour of the B-29 Enola Gay_At the National Air & Space Museum Washington D.C.--Move your cursor around and take a virtual tour of the cockpit. A wonderful experience.--Contributed by Robert Strong
- (12/19/10)-- Virtual Aircraft Museum __You will be able pull up every aircraft that was built in every country in the world and every air craft company.--Contributed by Robert King
- (08-22-10)-- Virtual Tour of Submarine USS Pampanito WARNING--High Speed Internet Required. As you tour the site, place your cursor on the screen/picture and and move the mouse and the picture will move around the respective compartments. Scroll down to "next compartment" --Contributed by Ernie Halley
- (08-22-10)--Get into the cockpit:: Newly restored Navy Skyraider (AD-1H) flies (video)--WARNING--High Speed Internet Required. This is the way a airplane engine is suppose to sound!! Owner is Neal Melton who has his warbird collection under the umbrella of his "Tennessee Museum of Aviation" Contributed by Marion Swinford
- (02-10-10)--Flight Video in a U2 --Great pictures of flying in a U2 beyond 70,000 feet. Turn up your audio. contributed by Pete Wallace & Adam Miklovis
- (10-21-09)Boeing Air Museum Of Flight --Contributed by Adam Miklovis
- (9-30-09) Huge amount of material on the:Vietnam War contributed by: Walt Quist
- (7-31-09)Chance Vought (manufacturer of the Crusader): Vought Heritage Museum Dallas Aircraft history, pictures of restored Vought planes, and more. - Contributed by Walt Quist
- (7-21-09)Long video [High Speed Internet Recommended] MotorTrend drag race between a-- Blue Angel F18 races Corvette ZR1 -Contributed by Frank Buesing
- (7-21-09)YouTube video -- US Navy Ceremonial Guard Silent Drill Team was invited to compete in an International Tattoo in Norway. The Navy competed against military units from all over NATO and won first place. - contributed by Marion Swinford
- (7-7-09)This site has every crew member named with large photos: Rare Jimmy Doolittle Crews' Photos -Contributed by Walt Quist
- 5/26/09:Large site listing tributes and information on deceased service members:_ Virtual Wall
- May 23:US Navy year in pictures 2008---excellent -Contributed by Ernie Halley
- March 26: -Navy TV -Lots of videos, both regular and aviation Navy. Includes a 5 video collection of the Forestall fire and clips from the PBS special "Carrier".
- A site dedicated to: Aircraft Wrecks -& Other Related Information
- Photos of: -Rare U.S. Aircraft -Contributed by: Walt Quist
- The book by Freeman Marcy called "Sundowner Days" can be seen at: Recollections of a fighter pilot in VF-111
- An interesting site dedicated to: ejection photos-and interesting links
- This massive site is dedicated to the topic of: ejections from all over the world.
- This very interesting site is dedicated to the: Yellowater Weapons Storage Site across the road from the Cecil
- Military Art: - http://ehangar.com/index.php
- Aircraft Rendition Art: www.aircraftprofiles.dk-Mads is a university student in Denmark and offers his art for sale. He will custom make his rendition to your specifications.
- The beginnings of a digital book on: A love affair (of sorts) with the Crusader. The author is from the Netherlands and represents the wide-spread admiration for this jet. Loads of information on the Crusader.
- Crusader stats, pictures, & squadron member messages:AeroWeb - RF-8G Contributed by Ernie Halley
- Also see "We Love Crusaders" this site.
RF-8 or F8 Exhibits
- (2/16/16) See many restored aircraft: MCAS Miramar, Flying Leatherneck Museum in San Diego, California--contributed by Richard Crowe
- Mobile AL: Battleship Park VFP-62 RF-8 BuNo 145645 has been restored and is exhibited along with show cases of VFP-62 memorabilia.
- Grand opening May 2009:USS Midway Crusader Ready Room 7
- Air museum where RF-8 Bu.No. 145607 will be restored as either VFP-206, VFP-62, or VFP-63: Castle Air Museum Atwater, CA -Also see "We Love Crusaders" for more information.
- A new air museum opened up Flying Heritage Museum Most of the aircraft have been put in flying condition and do fly shows. Contributed by Wes Batlett
- Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Smithsonian)/ (near Dulles airport) Chantilly, VA. A VFP-206 RF-8 is on display
- Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum at: www.dvhaa.org Willow Grove NAS JRB, Pa.
- The USS Intrepid's Return to New York, NY and The Grand Re-opening on November 8, 2008. For information log onto: USS Intrepid Museum
- Starting from a ruin filled with concrete, the Pacific Coast Air Museum created a very nice F8 restoration. This Crusader had probably been seen by millions and crawled on by thousands of kids. During its assignment to a public park it received so much use next to a busy San
Francisco street, it finally wore out after 20 years.
It is now on static display in Santa Rosa, California. From the picture of the restoration, I'll guess this famous Bay Area Crusader is an F8C.
Pacific Coast Air Museum Santa Rosa CA - Contributed by Pete Michael
• Osprey Combat Aircraft / Peter Mersky (see "Vietnam Operations"
• Navy Fighter number seventeen / Steve Ginter (at right)
• Cordon of Steel /Curtis A. Utz
• Also see "We Love Crusaders" this site
• Naval Historical Center / Washington DC
Original vfp62.com webpage design: Ross Turner
Thanks to Pete Wallace, a former VFP-62 member (see guest log) who purchased the domain space for this site and originated the basic layout for the site. Throughout the technical development of the site Pete has been a great source of inspiration and cooperation and has become a new friend. - Ken Jack, VFP-62 Webmaster
Pete and I thank Arthur W. Scarborough, PHC and his son Scott for supplying us with many of the photographs for the site. In particular, Scott, who grew up walking among the Navy jets of Cecil Field, dedicated many hours to scanning pictures, providing textual background information, and demonstrated his love over and over again, for the RF-8 Crusader, VFP-62, and Naval Aviation.-Webmaster
The Webmaster thanks Dave Johnson, a former F8 driver, who at the very beginning of this project, provided invaluable information on HTML and Web design, motivation, and by his example, (see Gunfighter's link above), led us to the development of the site.
Finally, we thank all of the former VFP-62 crew members who have contributed photos, stories, and guest log messages to enhance our site. There are too many to mention specifically and we thank them all.
Email the WebmasterClick this link -VFP-62 Webmaster to send a comment or contribution to this page.