Dramatic Photo with the RF-8 Climbing Ahead of Shooting Flares
Courtesy Eric Nelson
Latest updates to vfp62.com
Click here to Return To: VFP-62 Home Page
vfp62.com is a site that grows with the photo and memorabilia contributions
from former squadron members.
Become a part of it!
Click here to; Return To Home Page
Site Updates as of October 14, 2016
Look for for most recent additions
Webmaster's message: Like many of you, I get a lot of interesting emails with links to a variety of topics. In the past when something military related was received, I found a home for them on our "Odds 'n Ends" pages. I still think those pages are of value for our guests but they were filling up rapidly with non-VFP-62 material and I decided to take a break from that effort. Lately, I thought that the "Bulletin Board" would be a good place to share them. So, that is where they are, mostly under "Mail Call." After they have been there for a while, I do post them to "Bulletin Board Archives" but also to other pages on our site. For example, if they are Crusader related, they might end up on "We Love Crusaders." In any event, I think you will enjoy them.
- As mentioned here before, I was happy to receive detachment 60-63 (USS Saratoga)Newsletters from Eugene Sones. Eugene asked me to send the originals to deceased Lt. Cdr John McCall's daughter who requested more information on her dad's VFP-62 experience. I just posted the May Newsletter and will be posting the June edition soon.
Newsletters were required each month and they now serve as reminders of our lives aboard carriers. We all shared similar experiences so you'll enjoy the photos and stories. Check it out on "VFP-62 Memorabia."
Thanks for your support and visit.
Ken Jack, webmaster
Recently Updated Topics by Site Page Organization
Click on the link to go to the page
Sea Stories -click underlined text.
- (8/12/16) Read a great story of one of our circa 1957 shipmates, Chief Richard Woodson ATC on Page 6. This is the kind of story "Sea Stories" was created for. Thanks to Larry Moller.
- (8/29/16) (8/12/16) It's been since June that I posted anything new. I've been busy with family issues and now back with a great contribution sent by Larry Moller (VFP-62 circa 1957). Larry sends a short auto-biography of another shipmate, Chief Richard Woodson ATC. Chief Woodson was a WW II vet that VFP-62 was fortunate to still have around during my era in the squadron. You'll enjoy the story. It is on "Sea Stories" Page 6.
VFP-62 Skippers -click underlined text
- (3/6/16) Added a photo for Admiral Frank Foltz, commanding officer of VFP-62 circa 1961.
Vietnam Operations -click underlined text
- (1/13/16) Added a link on our "War Stories" page (RF-8 photo missions and rescues during the Vietnam War) of a daring shootdown, ejection, capture and rescue.
Cuban Missile Crisis -click underlined text
- New photos from the movie "Thirteen Days" have been added, including artwork from the movie storyboard, which shows our Crusaders "Going Feet Wet" after a mission over nuclear missile sites. Also, a marvelous photo of the USS Enterprise during the Cuban blockade withour RF-8A Bu No 145645 parked upfront on the flightdeck. This aircraft has been restored and on exhibit at Battleship Memorial Park Mobile, AL.
In Memoriam -click underlined text
- (10/14/16) Posted a memorial to Don Jusko PT2 (VFP-62 circa 1961-65). Tributes and memories are welcome.
- (8/20/16) A memorial for Robert (Bucky) J. Walters, VFP-62 pilot is being constructed and any more information is requested. He served in VFP-62 circa 1957-58.
VFP-62 Memorabilia -click underlined text
- UPDATE (9/20/16): Added the final Det 60-63 (USS Saratoga) detachment Newsletter for August 1963 from Eugene Sones. April, May and June's Newsletters previously posted.
VFP-62 Guest Log -click underlined text
- (9/28/15) Added Mike O'Connell AE3 VFP-62 1955-57 to Page 5 and the squadron database.
We Love Crusaders -click underlined text
- (1/1/16) Added a link to a 21-minute video of Crusader accidents. Scroll down to the link to "Crusader Mishaps" and look for the link with the "New" flag.
VFP-62 Squadron History -click underlined text
- (6/27/15): Painting and unusual photo of a F9F-8P Cougar contributed by the Cdr. Ralph E. Cheney family.
Faces of VFP-62 -click underlined text
- (10/12/15) Added photos of Pete Wallace ADJ3 and Robert Newbury AT---USS Enterprise Med cruise Det 1963: Go to Page 6.
- (9/24/15) Added a photo of Jerry Horton PHAN---Forrestal Det 1961 and Dave Stokes circa 1957: Go to Page 6.
Bulletin Board -click underlined text
- (10/14/16) Tom Pinkley provides an update on the hurricane Mathew plagued 2016 Forrestal Reunion.
- (9/3/16) Posted photo of the restored Forrestal stern plate. and links to navy videos of the photo-Crusader. Some scenes show flight line at Cecil. Thanks to Greg Engler
"Odds 'n Ends" -click underlined text
- (1/19/15)Added a Power Point presentation of the best "WW II Aviation Art." Check it out on Page 3.
- (12/23/14): Added a link to amazing, rare photos of the loading of the two atomic bombs that ended WW II. Up close and excellent quality. Also, a link to great photos of the history of the USS Arizona. All on Page 2
- (12/26/14) Added a link to a very well done 28 minute documentary on the Vietnam War told by veterans. Check it out on Page 5.
- (12/27/14) Six Minute video around the world via the International Space Station. The earth spins underneath you day and night. Check it out on Page 6.
Webmasters: Link to this page from your related home or links page and tell us you have done so. We can link back to your site.
Email the Webmaster
Click this link -VFP-62 Webmaster to send a correction or comment about this page.
Created on ... May 23, 2006